Thursday, June 13, 2013

Beach Memory Jar

Okay on my "busy" schedule I finished another craft project today. I also took some great photos of my baby girl (two months officially today). But back to our Beach Memory Jar project......
 See isn't she a doll! Okay for real....its craft time!
 
Step 1.....Gather your supplies: I used a baby food jar but you can use any size jar. I used a small one because I didn't have a lot of stuff to put in it. Sandpaper, this is just what I had handy. Spray paint, sand from the beach, and some Goo Gone. Oh and some Mod Podge and paint brush of course.

Step 2.....First I took a small piece of my sandpaper and scratched up the lid, this helps the paint stick. Don't forget the sides of the lid as well.

 Step 3......So then I peeled off the paper from my jar and there was some leftover adhesive so I got my Goo Gone and rubbed it off with a paper towel. This is "xtreme" Goo Gone but I think the regular stuff will work just fine too but you might have to scrub a little harder. If you don't have Goo Gone, try paint thinner or I've even heard that if you boil the jars for several minutes that it will scrub off. Oh yeah or try nail polish remover....okay enough about that I swear!

 Above: See yucky!
Above: So much better eh?
 
Step 4....I already had this spray paint from another project so I just used it. You want a cream or sand color because you will see a little of it after you cover it with the beach sand (seen in a later step). I did two coats to make sure that everything was covered. I also put my lid on a small can so that I could get all the sides and didn't have to worry about the lid sticking to the cardboard. 

Above: Oops sorry husband I got some paint on your W-D 40 can. Shhhh he'll never notice....
 
Step 5....Then after your lid is dry, paint the entire lid top and sides with an even layer of Mod Podge. Cover it with your beach sand, and let dry.  After it has dried, paint over your sand with another layer of Mod Podge. It may look funny now, but when it dries it will look like wet sand and it won't shed all over your house or when someone touches it. I also folded a piece of paper and poured my sand on top of that paper so that I could pick it up later and pour it back into my bottle.


  Some other ideas for your lid: you may add an old knob or even a shell or rock that you collected from your trip to the beach.
 
 

 Above: what it looks like with the second layer of Mod Podge.
 
Step 6.....Yay almost done! Fill your jar with your beach treasures. I have rocks, beach glass and shells in mine. You can even add a little tag on the bottom of your jar with the name of the beach and the date you collected your treasures.

Above: Neat rock with a hole in it! I also LOVE beach glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment